Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Music Speaks to Me

Some of you may know that I love classical music. I've recently become enamored with Opera, but my favorite compositions deal primarily with the piano. I have XM sattelite radio in my truck, and channels 10,11, and 12 are all on my presets. (That's the classical channels for those of you who haven't upgraded...$12.99 a month is totally worth it!)

Lately I've been doing some soul searching - well, not exactly soul, but...maybe brain searching. I've come up with a list of works I'd like to own, preferably before year end. Here goes:

Rachmaninoff - All of his preludes, I already have a cd of a lot of his Etudes. I like the preludes better.
Chopin - 24 Preludes, all of his nocturnes. Arthur Rubenstein was one of the best Chopin performers ever. I have a cd with various Chopin compositions played by Rubenstein
Edvard Greig - The ENTIRE Peer Gynt suite. I'm tired of only hearing Anitra's Dance, Hall of Mountain King, and The Return of Peer Gynt...I want to hear and experience the entire suite!!
Mozart - All of his Piano Sonatas. I have 14-16 on itunes. I'd like to find a hard copy of all of them.

------EDIT-------
I forgot to Add
Beethoven - I want to hear ALL of his piano sonatas. Every one's heard "Moonlight Sonata" (Sonata una Quasi Fantasia), but who has heard of the "Waldstein Sonata?" I heard it for the first time a few days ago. I'm hooked now!!
-----End of EDIT-----

on an opera note
Wagner - I'd like to find the ENTIRE DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN series, both cd AND Libretto. This series is made up of four operas "Das Rheingold", "Die Walküre", "Siegfried", and "Götterdämmerung".

I eventually want to own all the Wagner operas (with libretti), but I'd like to start with The Ring cycle.

There's more, but this is what I want to start with. There's a few Piano concertos I'd like too.

6 comments:

chantell said...

omg, being able to play Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor has been an obsession of mine for the longest. My piano teacher began to teach it to me, but after I graduated from HS, I stopped taking lessons and haven't picked it back up since then. But there is something in me that won't be satisfied until I learn how to play the whole thing.

Jessy Russell said...

That's the very first piece of his I heard. I bought a book of his preludes in NYC, and that's the first I've tried learning. I've got to get back into the sight-reading frame of mind

chantell said...

You'd be so proud of me Jessy, I bought a whole boatload of classical music. I got this 4 CD set of Piano classics for $9.99, I was so happy (of course it included Rachmaninoff), I got a Vivaldi CD for like 5.99, and then a CD of 20 classical favorites for like 7.99. I was so happy.

Lacey Wilson said...

why don't you use this blog anymore...it isn't so pink! and it is linked at the bottom of your emails....????

Shannon said...

jessy-- i replied in the comments of my blog... but here it is again in case you dont see: record your life in other ways while you wait for your camera! draw! write! etc. :)

Rick Flood said...

Hey,

I saw you posted on my blog, unfortunatly we do not have those to download or sale. He travels with his family and that is his income. If your really interested in hearing him you can check out his site.

www.enloeministries.org