Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I fell in love with a black man



In case I ever failed to mention it, I'm a pianist. Not specifically jazz, or blues, or pop, or anything. I just play the piano for the glory of God. No matter what I play, I play everything for God's glory. He's given me this talent (however miniscule or great it may be), and I love to use it for him.


As a pianist/organist, I love to hear others play. I especially love to hear great musicians like Jack McDuff (organ), Tak Kwan (violin), Elton John (piano-duh), Richard Smallwood, Harry Connick Jr., Louis Armstrong, Artur Rubenstein, et al. Listening to other people's work gives me insight as to how God blesses other musicians talent. It gives me hope for myself (please don't think I covet their talent, I only what to be as good as Christ allows). That all being said...



Today, along my daily routine of shirking off my normal duties as Desktop Support, I was perusing my Google home page and came across a WikiHow article outlining what it takes to become a jazz pianist. Naturally that caught my attention (see above). One of the steps mentioned listening to other artists and examining their work, blah, blah, blah. But one thing caught my eye:



"Warnings
During your search through Jazz piano history, you'll eventually come across Art Tatum. There's a dilemma here because, if you come to him too early, you won't appreciate his music, which would be a loss, but if you come after you've gained some musical understanding, you'll quit the piano the next day. This is a serious warning - Oscar Peterson nearly quit after hearing Tatum, and so did many others. "


I thought (to myself), "Is there someone so great a pianist that his very sound could cause a person to give up his own abilities?" (probably not so eloquently...i think very 'ungrammatically')


So I decided to open up my handy-dandy Itunes music store and do a little research and listenin' too. Needless to say, I've fallen in love with Art Tatum. I'm hopelessly smitten by his smooth, lyrical runs, and chromatic flair. This guy's speed is incredible!! I wish I knew how to post a music sample, because I would let you listen in a heart-beat. I instantly bought 2 albums!! He's THAT GOOD!


Chantel, please note - I AM FINALLY POSTING AGAIN! You can keep any snide "bout-time" comments to yourself :-) cheerio!

2 comments:

chantell said...

Good Lord, Jessy, 'bout time! :-P

BTW, love the new title. Lemme update my links (sigh).

Jewel said...

Have you ever listened to Jim Brickman? He is very good. Beautiful, easy-listening piano. I enjoy reading your blog. Oh, I also play the piano,keyboards,and organ, but I prefer the piano by far.